Wednesday 18 July 2012

BCM World Conference and Exhibition – why this is the ‘must attend’ event for BCM practitioners

Deborah Higgins MBCI
Life as a BCM practitioner in any organisation can sometimes feel lonely and like an uphill struggle, a never-ending battle with no imminent victory in sight. 
We need to be a ‘jack of all trades’ starting from knowing how to make BCM relevant and of interest to all areas of the organisation, to being a master of persuasion to convince sceptical stakeholders, to having to have an eye for detail to carry out an effective BIA as well as being highly organised to maintain the BC Plan and be skilled facilitators to run our exercises!
The constant battle as we BC practitioners strive to embed BCM into our organisation’s culture is taxing to say the least and just when we feel like giving up as our energy levels ebb into the distance, along comes the BCM World Conference to revitalise the parts other events cannot reach and to fill us with inspiration and renewed enthusiasm for our one true ‘professional’ passion.
BCM World Conference is the place where  we can be with our allies, where we stand together with the ‘already convinced’ and the ‘converted’, where we are part of a global, united force and where we can find temporary release  from our ivory towers
For me the Conference is a place I go to immerse myself in the world of BCM. As a delegate I can find out what’s new, what other practitioners from a wide range of organisations are doing and how are they doing it. I can listen to professionals from all over the world talk about common problems we all face and become part of the conversation about what we can do about it. I can learn from the wealth of experience and knowledge from experienced leaders in their fields, share my own experience and best of all I can take this away with me back to my place of work.
I can find out what tools are out there to help me do my job by visiting the exhibition. I can see anything from software providers, salvage companies and consultants all who know exactly what I do and why I am there. I have listened to some fascinating stories in presentations given on the exhibition floor. I have been inspired to attend workshops and training courses and I can find out how to continue with my professional development.
I have been fortunate to be in a position to go to BCM World and take the opportunity to learn, to network and make new friends and I can’t imagine not attending the conference in the future.
This year I am lucky enough to work for the Business Continuity Institute and so I don’t need to make a business case to my employers to fund my attendance! But I do know that there is no better place for anyone with any interest in Business Continuity to be.
If, like me, you leave with a renewed feeling of enthusiasm for your work and full of useful knowledge and some new ideas to try back in the office, then it has been a worthwhile investment and one you will continue to reap the benefits of for a very long time.        
And if you are looking to save a bit of money, the BCI are offering an Early Bird Rate for both Members and Non-Members, which is available until 31st July 2012.  So hurry and take advantage of this by booking your place right now here   
To find out more about the Conference click here or download the Conference Programme here
Look forward to seeing you there.
Deborah Higgins, MBCI
Technical & Learning Manager at the BCI

No comments:

Post a Comment